Focusing on governance and strategic oversight, the programme will equip you with the personal skills to direct change in the boardroom. By broadening your understanding of effective board performance and exploring board dynamics and resilience, you will be able to effectively fulfil your responsibilities.
The Henley Certificate in Board Practice and Directorship puts a strong emphasis on director development – building a personal awareness of strengths, limitations, skills and capabilities. It draws attention to director contribution and frames stewardship of the organisation, and due diligence in your leadership qualities. You will learn how to work through ambiguous issues, engaging with the board to reach a consensus.
Module 1: Building Board and Director Effectiveness
- Roles and responsibilities at board level
- Your strengths and weaknesses
- Setting the tone and culture at the top
- Influencing skills at board level as an individual contribution
- Enabling strategy design and execution
- The nature of dysfunctional boards
- Succession planning
- Balancing short-term and longer-term board value.
Module 2: Investor Relations, Governance and Innovation
- Understanding board-level impact on processes, decisions, strategic monitoring of activities, diversity and dynamics
- The sustainable effect of these outcomes for:
- internal stakeholders (e.g. the board, executive, management and owners)
- external influences (e.g. regulations, competition, collaboration, lobby groups and society)
- organisational change and innovation (e.g. survival, growth and investment strategy)
- Investor relations
- Ownership types – private, family owned, public-equity owned, public (or state owned) and charitable structures
- Examining ‘common good competitiveness’ vs profit orientation, short-termism, or shareholder/self-interest.
Module 3: Handling Risk at Board Level
- The relationship between risk and uncertainty in relation to:
- behavioural economics and cognitive bias
- accounting and finance
- handling conflict and crises
- How boards and board members interpret and report risk
- Board readiness as an enabler for innovation and transformation
- Appetite and tolerance for risk
- The link between risk and internal/external factors.
Download the programme brochure for more detailed information:
The Henley Certificate in Board Practice and Directorship is scheduled over 8 months with 8 workshop days from 7 – 12 May 2023 in Henley, UK.
"*" indicates required fields